- 1 pound black-eyed peas -- dried
- 1 piece skin from a smoked ham or
- 2 ounces slab bacon -- diced
- 1/4 cup pork rib drippings or fried chicken drippings
- or bacon drippings
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
1) Pick over the peas to remove stones and dirt. Rinse the peas well and soak them in cold water for 20 minutes. Drain well.
2) Combine the peas and the remaining ingredients in a large pot. Pour in enough cold water to cover the peas by 1 inch. Heat to simmering and cook, covered, until the peas are tender but not mushy, about 1 1/2 hours. Keep an eye on the peas while they are cooking and add more water to keep them covered if necessary.